Natural shampoo bars have a multitude of benefits! Not only are they environmentally friendly, but they also don’t contain harsh chemicals that harm your hair. You can wash your hair as frequently as you like with an organic shampoo bar. This is especially useful if you have fine hair, as fine, flyaway hair doesn’t tolerate toxic chemicals – especially after frequent washes.
The natural ingredients present in a shampoo bar revitalize your hair and make it lustrous and healthy. Switching to shampoo also bars allows you to reduce plastic waste. Along with this, you also get more use out of these bars as they last longer than bottled shampoo. The average natural shampoo bar can last up to2 months.
It can also generate a generous amount of lather as you wet your hair and rub it on your scalp. Shampoo bars are also travel-friendly and can easily be packed in your hand-carry luggage.
When purchasing natural shampoo bars, choose a reputable brand that specializes in organic products. Just like with bottled shampoo, shampoo bars can also be created for different types of hair. Different hair conditions, such as oily, frizzy, and dry, can be balanced with the right shampoo bar.
Now, you might be wondering, “where can I buy these amazing natural shampoo bars?” Well, the good news is, you don’t have to! You can make your own natural shampoo bar at home. It’s actually pretty easy to do so. In this article, we’ll discuss how to make your own shampoo bar. There are many natural recipes you can follow to create the perfect shampoo bar for your hair type.
Before you start making your shampoo bar, do take some preparatory steps. Cover the surface where you will be working with newspaper and make sure you are wearing gloves. Protect your eyes with goggles and make sure the room is well-ventilated. These precautionary steps are necessary as shampoo bars are created through a process known as saponification. Saponification can sometimes burn your skin and create strong fumes. So, one needs to be careful.
However, carrying out the steps is quite simple. Youcan do so with standard kitchen tools and natural ingredients. Shampoo bars can be created by mixing key ingredients, such as fats, lye (also known as sodium hydroxide), and a fragrance. Fats can be derived in the form of lard from animals or oils from plants. Usually, heat is needed for the saponification process to occur. But if you include lye as an ingredient, heat is generated naturally, and the process occurs as it should.
Shampoo Bar Recipes
Before we discuss the recipes, remember to have all your ingredients ready beforehand, as all steps need to be carried out quickly, one after the other.
Shampoo Bar for Dry Hair
If you have dry hair, you want a natural shampoo bar that can cleanse your hair without stripping it of its natural oils. For this, you need a good moisturizing ingredient when making the shampoo. Using tallow (animal fat derived from beef or mutton) and coconut oil can do the trick. These ingredients can clean your hair and make it soft without drying it out. The antibacterial properties of coconut oil also benefit the scalp. This shampoo is also great if you have a dandruff-prone scalp, as olive oil helps with that.
The ingredients for this shampoo bar include:
- 10 ounces of tallow
- 10 ounces of coconut oil
- 10 ounces of olive oil
- 6 ounces of castor oil
- 13 ounces of water
- 5 ounces of lye
- Two tablespoons of essential oil.
- First of all, weigh the coconut oil, olive oil, tallow, and castor oil and mix them in a pan. Place the pan on low heat on the stove.
- The second step is to weigh out the water in a sturdy bucket. Also, weigh out the lye in a separate container.
- Thirdly check if the oils have melted in the pan. The oils should be at a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Next, take the lye and water outdoors and slowly pour the lye into the water container. Stir the mixture. Do make sure you are wearing gloves while doing this. Now, leave the lye water for a while, and it will turn from cloudy to clear. Let it cool for a few minutes.
- Next, pour the lye water into the oil mixture. Use a mixer to blend the mixture, and after a while, it will start turning thick and creamy. Keep mixing until it reaches a steady consistency – similar to pudding.
- Incorporatethe essential oils within the mixture as your keep mixing it.
- Next, start laying out the shampoo bar mixture into the mold. Top the mold with wax paper and wrap it in towels. Wait for 24 hours and remove the mixture from the moldand slice it. Let these bars cure in a cool area that has good airflow. Let them be for 4 to 6 weeks. Then, you can start using them.
Cleansing Shampoo Bar for Oily Hair Type
This deep cleansing shampoo bar recipeis specifically created for oily hair.
The ingredients include:
- half cup jojoba beads
- three-fourth cup carnauba wax
- half cup apple cider vinegar
- one-third cup liquid soap
- 2 teaspoons essential oil
- Start by melting the carnauba wax in a double boiler. Let the wax cool for a while.
- When the wax has cooled, stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour this mixture is a soap mold and refrigerate it until it becomes solid.
Homemade Natural Shampoo Bar for Normal Hair
This simple recipe is suited for standard hair types and is sure to transform your hair into soft, shiny, lustrous locks.
The ingredients for this recipe include:
- two-thirds cup olive oil
- three-fourth cup cooled distilled water
- two-third cup coconut oil
- two-third cup oil of choice (Can choose between avocado oil, almond oil, macadamia nut oil, or palm oil)
- one-fourth cup lye
- 2 tablespoons essential oils
- Start by mixing the coconut oil, olive oil, and other oil of choice ina stainless-steel bowl.
- Put the lye into the water and stir with a spoon as you do so. Keep stirring until the liquid becomes translucent. Stand back as you mix this inorder to avoid the fumes that will radiate from this mixture – you don’t want to inhale them.
- Next, mix your oils with your lye. Make sure your oil mixture has reached 75 degrees F, and the lye mixture is 125 degrees F.
- Mix this with a stick blender until it resembles the consistency of a thick vanilla pudding.
- Add your essential oils and thoroughly mix them.
- Pour this mixture into amold and leave it for a few hours. When the mixture has cooled and solidified, remove it from the mold and leave it on a baking rack for four weeks.
Then, you can slice it and use it as required.
Why You Should Switch to Shampoo Bars
So, you see how easy it is to make your own shampoo bar. The steps are pretty simple, and all-natural ingredients are used. Sure, you have to be careful when handling some products like lye, and you have to take all necessary precautionary steps. However, the steps themselves are pretty easy.You can also use your favorite fragrance to add a little jazz to your natural shampoo. It will leave your hair looking refreshed and will also ensure that you have a wonderful fragrance wherever you go. Switching to organic shampoo bars is a great eco-friendly alternative. There are so many advantages of doing so.
Firstly, using shampoo bars helps us save water. Shampoo bars don’t require as much water as liquid shampoo does. Even though you will need water to soap up, lather, and rinse your hair, you will still be using less water than liquid shampoo.
The ingredients in shampoo bars are more concentrated than in liquid shampoo. Hence the cleaning agents are more effective and less diluted. This means your hair is getting all the necessary ingredients it needs and as much as it needs.
One very important advantage of switching to shampoo bars for good is that you are cutting down on plastic usage. You don’t have to worry about recycling plastic bottles, and bars are so much more convenient to use.
Shampoo bars last longer than liquid shampoo bottles and take up less space in your bathroom. Even if you wash your hair every day, your shampoo bar can last up to two months. One good tip is to always leave your shampoo bar in a container that does not collect water. This will prolong the life of your bar. Always drain the dish before you place the bar in it. And make sure you get a soap dish that has space at the base so water does not accumulate.
So when choosing between organic shampoo bars and liquid shampoo, the choice is simple. Organic shampoo bars are great for your hair, are environmentally friendly, and last longer. If you’ve ever wanted to know how to make your own shampoo bar at home, well, now you know. Shampoo bars are the perfect solution to wash all your hair troubles away.